Root canal therapy is often recommended to restore a damaged or diseased tooth. While many patients are frightened when they hear “root canal”, there are several tips you can follow to ensure a smooth, complication-free procedure:
- Consult with your dentist or oral surgeon to find out the available options for sedation. Sedation dentistry is especially helpful if you experience anxiety or fears about your scheduled root canal therapy.
- Talk to your dentist or oral surgeon about prescribing antibiotics before your root canal procedure. Treating an infected tooth with antibiotics before the therapy can help reduce swelling and encourage healing after the root canal procedure is complete.
- Discuss with your dentist the option of taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication beginning several days before your scheduled root canal treatment. Taking a medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen before and immediately following root canal therapy will help control pain and reduce swelling.
- Treat yourself to a healthy, filling meal at least one hour before your root canal procedure. Root canal treatment can take up to three hours, and you may have difficulty eating afterwards until the numbness subsides.
- Make your scheduled follow-up visits a priority. Keeping your appointments will allow your dentist or oral surgeon to identify any potential problems before they become severe. A root canal treated tooth also requires a crown or filling to keep it healthy and free from fractures.
Your dentist in Clermont will provide additional before and aftercare instructions for your root canal procedure. By following these tips, along with any recommendations from your dentist, you will have the best chance for a successful procedure. With root canal therapy, you can save your damaged and diseased teeth and return to a healthy smile.
Schedule your appointment at our Clermont dental office