Keeping your child’s mouth healthy is very important as they grow. Tooth decay (cavities) is the most common preventable childhood disease, and can have long-term effects on the growth of your child’s teeth. In addition, healthy dental hygiene habits need to be encouraged in your children from a young age. Dr. Buechele at Clermont Family Dentistry & Dentures is an experienced preventive dentist for children in Clermont.
Developing a Healthy Oral Care Routine
For your children to grow up with healthy dental habits, and to avoid issues like gum disease and tooth decay, Dr. Buechele recommends the following 5 preventive steps:
- Brushing, flossing, and good oral habits – The most important step in keeping your child’s mouth healthy is to ensure that they learn to brush and floss properly, and maintain good oral hygiene habits. You also should bring them in to Clermont Family Dentistry & Dentures for regular, six month teeth cleanings and oral exams.
- Application of fluorides and dental sealants – Fluoride treatments can help reverse the effects of minor tooth decay, and dental sealants are used to protect the rearmost teeth, such as the molars, from cavity development. Dr. Buechele may recommend one of these treatments for your child at their check-up.
- Monitoring oral development and health – Coming to the same dentist regularly allows for the proper monitoring of your child’s oral health and the development of their permanent teeth. Any potentially-concerning issues can be spotted early, allowing for better treatment and care.
- Practicing proper sports safety – Oral injuries from contact sports like soccer, hockey, and football are common in children. Practice proper sports safety, and get a custom-made mouthguard from Dr. Buechele to protect your child’s teeth and gums.
- Establishment of proper diet – To avoid tooth decay, you should reduce the intake of sugar, particularly from beverages like juice and soda. Talk to your pediatrician or Dr. Buechele to learn more about dietary guidelines and recommendations for your kids.
The Benefits Of Preventative Dentistry For Children
Preventative dentistry for kids has a number of benefits, such as:
- Good life-long oral hygiene habits – In most cases, the attitude that a child takes towards oral hygiene will determine their oral hygiene for the rest of their lives. Preventative dentistry helps them establish and maintain good habits.
- Save time and money – Prevention is always cheaper than treatment. By catching issues before they require treatments like fillings, you can save time and money, while ensuring your child’s teeth are healthy.
- Peace of mind – You will know that your child is free of any major oral health problems, and is getting the preventative care they need to keep their teeth healthy.
Bring Your Child In For A Visit Today!
Dr. Buechele prides himself on maintaining a comfortable, safe dental office, and he specializes in working with kids. Our entire team will take great care of your child, and we’ll treat your little one as if they were our own. Get started by giving us a call at (352) 242-1763, or stop by our office at 12344 Roper Blvd, Clermont, FL 34711 if you’re in the area. We’re always accepting new patients.